Jajangmyeon is the Korean-style Chinese food made with fermented black bean paste which is called chunjang(춘장 in Korean) and the noodles. It is the most popular delivery food in Korea that many people frequently eat Jajangmyeon. If you go to the Chinese restaurant in Korea, you could see many kinds of the Jajangmyeon. Today I will introduce about the diverse types of the Jajangmyeon.
1. Kaan Jajang(간짜장 in Korean): Normal Jajangmyeon uses the Black bean paste which is cooked before, meanwhile Kkan Jajangmyeon uses the Black bean paste which is fried just now. So the Kkan Jajangmyeon has more intense and oily taste. Cooking the good taste of the Kaan Jajang is hard and even if it is cooked little wrong, the taste could be salty and too oily that Jjangmyeon lovers judge the chef’s cooking skills depends on the Kkan Jajangmyeon.:)
Black bean paste and the noodles are given separately as you can see in below. Normally the Kkan Jajangmyeon is with noodle and the black bean paste, but in some places additionally give a fried egg above the noodle.
Then pour the black bean paste on the noodle and mix it.
2. Uni Jajang(유니짜장 in Korean): All the ingredients in the Black bean are cut into small pieces. As the ingredients are chopped into little pieces, the water comes from the ingredient that it does not put the water into the Uni Jajang during cooking. Uni Jajang has the mild taste according to the ingredients are small that it is good for old men or children to eat.
You could see the ingredients are smaller than other type of the Jajangmyeon.
3. Sacheon Jajang(사천짜장 in Korean): Sacheon Jajang is the most spicy among all types of the Jajangmyeon. Quite many restaurants put red pepper in it or the chili powder. Also the Seafood is in this Jajangmyeon. You could see the shrimp and the webfoot octopus in below picture.
4. Jaeng-ban Jajang(쟁반짜장 in Korean): Jaeng-ban means ‘tray’ in Korean and this cuisine is served in a tray as you can see in below picture. Normally it is given in a large amount that two people can eat one dish. The good thing is the black bean souse and the noodle are already mixed that it is convenient to eat. Normally to eat the other types of the Jajangmyeon, you have to mix it by yourself.
5. Yetnal Jajang(옛날짜장 in Korean): This means old Jajangmyeon in Korean. The characteristic of this Jajangmyeon is the ingredients such as onion, cabbage and potato are cut in big shape. Normally the sauce is thin and the taste of the black soybean paste is soft because of the potato which is in inside.
6. Jjajangbap(짜장밥 in Korean): This means black soybean paste and rice in Korean. Black soybean paste is used as the other types of the Jajangmyeon, but the rice is in it instead of the noodle.
7. Jjamjamyeon(짬짜면 in Korean): This means half is Jjamppong and half is Jajangmyeon.
Many Korean frequently having a hard time to decide what to eat between Jajangmyeon and Jjamppong. Acoordingly, new dish which has both Jajangmyeon and Jjamppong came out. Pros is you can eat both of the dishes at once but the cons is the food amount is less than you order the Jajangmyeon or Jjamppong itself. Because the middle part of the bowl is divided in half, and the amount of the food is less as much as the part which is dividing the bowl.
Thanks for reading. You can check 7 Types of Korean Jjamppong in here.